Request Free Quotes From Long Distance Moving Companies:
Ready. Set. Go. What to Do Before the Moving Labor Arrives
by: Allison Millar
01 Dec 2010
Moving day is always a little hectic, so it helps to be as organized as possible. If you've hired moving labor, you want to have everything packed and ready to go when they arrive. This makes the process more efficient and possibly reduce costs because moving companies often charge by the hour.
Preparing for Moving Labor to Arrive
Packing is a big job and can lead to plenty of moving stress. The worst thing you can do is leave it until the last minute when nerves are on edge. To help reduce your moving stress, have a plan and attack it little by little. Start early to give away or sell books, clothes, and furniture that you no longer want. Then:
- Buy or find boxes and packing supplies.
- Make a list of what you plan to move yourself, such as your prized artwork. Before moving day, discuss any special items you need help moving and get estimates for extra charges.
- Pack strategically to help those carrying boxes--large boxes for light items like sheets; small ones for books.
When packing, go room to room and think function. What can you live without for a few weeks and pack early, such as extra sheets, towels, and books? The coffee maker, however, should wait until the night before. Label each box, adding any special notes on those that should be opened right away.
Questions for the Moving Labor
As you finalize your moving contract, iron out all the details.
- Do they unload boxes according to room and have one laborer assigned to steer boxes into the rooms?
- What time do they plan to arrive and do they take breaks?
- Do you need to arrange elevator time in your building or ensure there is space out front for the truck?
- Do they plan to have a dedicated person assigned to safeguard your items outside as others are carrying boxes?
Once your packing plan is in place, focus on moving day. Plan to keep children and animals out of the way so they don't interfere with the moving labor. Ask a friend to watch them in another location or find a quiet room for them to stay in at home. This reduces their moving stress and helps moving labor do their job.
Getting ready for movers is a big job, but your upfront planning can pay off in big ways.
Annika Mengisen • Special to Relocation.com • http://www.relocation.com • http://www.relocation.com/library/moving_guide/simple_way_to_pack.html
Related Articles About Long Distance Moving:
- 5 Simple Steps to Affordable Homeowner Insurance
When it comes time to buy home insurance, the options can seem overwhelming. But by ... More
- A Primer on Long Distance Moving
Be prepared for your long-distance move. Find out how to get organized and ready for ... More
- A Self-Move Versus a Full-Service Move: The Pros and Cons
Consider the advantages and disadvantages of a self-move and a professional move before deciding which ... More
- A Stress-Free Move Can Be Achieved With a Moving Company
Make planning and performing your move easier by using a moving company. Whether you have ... More
- Avoiding Foreclosure: Know What Help You Can Get While There Is Still Time
Through counseling, working with lenders, and other means you may be able to avoid losing ... More
- Choosing the Best Moving Company: 7 Questions to Ask
Before you pick a moving company, ask these 7 questions to ensure that you have ... More
- Eight Questions to Ask Your Moving Company About Insurance
Moving insurance is the best way of protecting your possessions as they go from point ... More
- Hiring a Moving Service: What You Need to Know
Learn what key information you need to gather before signing a moving contract and you ... More
- Hiring Moving Labor? 10 Safety Precautions to Take Before Moving Day
If you have paid help moving you into your new home, make sure your house ... More
- How Long Is Long Enough for Truck Rental?
Accurately calculating the duration of truck rental you need could help you to cut the ... More
- How to Avoid Foreclosure: Know Your Options
Almost two-thirds of homeowners in danger of foreclosure fail to seek any avoidance plan. By ... More
- How to Choose a Moving Company That's Right for You
You can save time, money and frustration by carefully selecting reliable moving services. Here's a ... More
- How to Choose Moving Professionals
You can find a reliable moving professional with just a little conscientious research. It can ... More
- How to Interview Moving Labor
A friendly face and a good price are nice, but they aren't nearly enough to ... More
- Knowing Moving Labor Regulations Can Keep You and Your Property Safe
Moving is extremely stressful, and choosing the wrong moving labor only compounds the difficulty. Here's ... More
- Moving as a Senior: One Step at a Time
Moving for seniors involves sorting through a lifetime of possessions and memories. Starting early and ... More
- Moving Insurance: Don't Change Homes Without It
Your homeowners or renters insurance may not cover your valuable possessions if they're lost or ... More
- Need Help Moving? Be Careful When Choosing Moving Labor
If you are planning a move but can't afford a full-service moving company, consider hiring ... More
- Plan for a "Green" Moving Experience by Recycling Your Moving Supplies
Moving can be a stressful experience, whether it is across the country, or just across ... More
- Portable Storage Units Are Convenient for Many Families
On-site storage is a safe, fast way to add space and organization to your home, ... More
- Protect Yourself and Your Stuff: How to Hire Quality Moving Services
Each year, thousands of Americans are scammed by people claiming to be "moving professionals." Protect ... More
- Should You Get Moving Insurance? A Look at What's Covered and What's Not
Moving insurance could help to eliminate some of the stress associated with moving. Here are ... More
- The Rise of Interstate Moving and Regulation in American History
As Americans became increasingly mobile in the 20th century, they turned to moving companies to ... More
- Think About Going Green When Selecting a Moving Company
Going green is not just a fad, we can all do our part in saving ... More
- Time for the Big Move? A Moving Budget Can Help
When moving, you'll first have to decide if you want to pack all your own ... More
- Undertaking A Big Move? Protect Your Assets with Moving Insurance.
Homeowners insurance won't adequately compensate you for lost or damaged items during a move, nor ... More
- Using Cheap Labor for Moving Isn't Always Your Best Move
If you are moving on a budget, using your friends' cheap labor may seem like ... More
- Why Choosing a Licensed Long Distance Moving Company is Important
If you value your family's possessions, you want to make sure that you select a ... More
- You Can Find Convenient Storage with a Little Research
Different people seek out storage for different reasons. However, everyone should consider affordability, convenience, and ... More